Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A lil less relevant..... Google's Exodus

I guess this write up would fall under the "lil less relevant" category as it has nothing to do with anything automotive. I'm talking about the rumored exodus of Google from China. From an ethical/moral facet I applaud Google's management for it's decision to abandon a market that curves freedom of speech and information. It's certainly a very brave decision to make, risking millions perhaps billions of potential profits. From a business aspect it's a risky proposition, one that I'm sure many would believe to be foolish. The loss of profits, potential backlash from it's shareholders, loss of market share, etc. - it boggles my mind that management, especially one with such international exposure would even contemplate such a move.

In the many jobs and posts I've held, I am proud to have worked for just two firms.... Toyota and Tyco Electronics (Raychem Circuit Protection) that have placed people first before profits. It's companies like Toyota, Raychem Circuit Protection, and now Google that provides me faith that as a society there are some who will make the right decisions over profits.

If I had the financial prowess of say a Bill Gates or a Warren Buffet, I'd snatch up every share of Google that it's more materialistic shareholders would sell. A little naive I know but this is how I feel about the importance of morals and ethics. Doing the right thing should be rewarded. In this materialistic world where corporate and government leaders care more about profits then how profits come about, I applaud Google for it's decision. We'll see in the next couple of weeks if this rumor is true. It would be even more interesting to see the potential market backlash or reward. Either way, the market's reaction and it's impact on other companies doing business in China would be interesting. A battle of morals/ethics vs profits.