Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2011 Ford Mustang GT vs BMW e92 M3

For enthusiasts of anything fast on four wheels I'm sure many of you have already read the rumors regarding the upcoming 2011 Ford Mustang GT. Personally I rarely paid much attention to domestic models (except for the Corvette), I will be the first to admit the Mustang's return to the 5.0 v8 is beginning to look very interesting. I'm sure M enthusiasts will jeer me for even the thought of comparing the M3 to a Mustang GT. I mean who in their right mind would do such a thing? Competition for the M3 has always been other "daily" exotics ie. Porsches, what can a Ford Mustang GT possibly have in common with a "M3"?

For beginners lets start with some specs, since the car isn't out yet specifications are just rumors for now. However if the rumors are accurate, M owners beware. The BMW e92 M3 pumps out 414 hp producing 295 lb/ft of torque. This equates to 4.6 seconds from a dead stop to 60 mph according in published articles. The Mustang GT generates 412 hp and puts down a meaty 390 lb/ft of torque. There are no information on the weight of the GT but I'm assuming it's going to be lighter then the porky M. 0-60 mph should be comparable too. Yes, I know we're talking about numbers on a sheet of paper and I admit there's a difference between what's on paper vs. how it feels when you're behind the driver's seat. But feel aside, the numbers do look intriguing eh? Don't get me wrong, I love to own a M3 but with at least a $20k difference between the two plus the cost of ownership, the Mustang is looking ever more promising.

The M3 starts at $54k + change and the $$$ will quickly rise once options are added. The Mustang on the other hand is expected to go for $32k, a fully loaded GT shouldn't go past the $40k mark. The initial entry is already a $20k difference, now you add in the cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc) and the difference is even greater! Oh and did I state that the Mustang is expected to achieve 25 mpg vs. 20 mpg for the M? Performance should be similar between the M and Mustang. I expect the aftermarket firms will pile on the goodies for the Mustang this support should take care of the pony's deficiencies. In case you haven't leafed through the Mustang's brochures of late, Ford offers a factory supercharger for the current 4.6 litre GT! That's a DEALER INSTALLED SUPERCHARGER with Ford's blessing! I can only assume that someone out there is already working on an independent suspension for the GT. If or when this option comes available, I wouldn't mind spending some hard earned $$$ for the swap (even if it costs $10k) - I'd still be well below the price of an M3. Ford's "Track Pak" includes firmer shock settings settings, slightly lower ride height, limited slip diff (you can chose between two diff ratios) and brembo brakes for a mere $1,400. You can probably negotiate this option off the MSRP when you purchase/lease the Mustang. Just writing this blog is getting me excited!